How to Avoid Stress and Focus on Grief
When a Loved One Suddenly Passes On.
Imagine receiving a phone call in the middle of the night, letting you know that a family member has unexpectedly passed away. Legacy, a premiere cremation provider serving the New Orleans, LA community, understands that feeling of panic on top of grief when something like this happens. If you are responsible for making the final arrangements, you probably wouldn’t know what to do first. Who do you call? What needs to happen? It’s completely nerve-wracking.
You can prepare mentally and financially for the inevitable – that one day you will lose someone close to you and you will bear the responsibility. Just review these tips from from the Legacy cremation professionals.
How to handle a sudden death.
If you are the next of kin, and this responsibility has fallen to you, there are several things you must do immediately.
- Administrative details. Depending on the cause of death, there may be administrative details to take care of:
- You may be asked to come to a morgue to identify the body if the death was caused by an accident or crime.
- You may need to go to a hospital or nursing home if the death was the result of natural causes, to sign release forms to that the body can be transported.
- Select a cremation provider. Call Legacy, or other cremation provider in your area, and determine where to transport the body.
- A trip to the coroner’s office. Once you have determined where you want the body transported, you may need to go to the coroner’s office in the county where the body has been laid to rest. This may require traveling out of the state. If so, be sure to have someone come with you for support. Upon arriving at the coroner’s office, you will be asked to view and identify the body, and then to sign a release form.
- Transporting the body. Call your cremation provider and let them know the body is ready for transport. Upon arrival at the facility you have chosen, the body will be cleaned and prepared for a memorial service. Note that the cost for transporting the body will be your responsibility. Get this clarified in writing and make sure it is included in your budget for handling the final arrangements.
It’s a good idea to determine all the relevant costs with your provider ahead of time.
- Insurance reimbursement. Obtain the deceased person’s life insurance information, if any. Many of the expenses will be reimbursed to you as the next of kin, once assignment of benefits are paid to your provider. But understand that you will have to pay out of pocket, in advance. If necessary, reach out to family members for financial assistance. Some churches and civic organizations, with which the deceased was involved, may be able to help out.
- Decide on the arrangements. Legacy can walk you through each step of the process, helping you to determine the best cremation package that will satisfy the family’s religious, cultural and financial needs. Tell us your thoughts, your feelings and your requirements; we will listen.
- Notifying friends and family. Notify family members and friends of the death of your loved one, and let them know that you are taking care of things, and let them know the schedule of events, so that they can participate. This must be done with care and compassion.
- Receive guidance and counseling. Whether it’s a pastor, priest, or rabbi, or the cremation consultants at Legacy, speak with someone who can help you deal with the grief associated with unexpected death. Rest assured, so many others have stood in your shoes, and they have made it through. We all recover from loss with the proper support and the healing of time. The professional and compassionate cremation staff at Legacy is available to talk with you 24 / 7.
Cremation pre-planning with Legacy can eliminate much of the stress.
Why pre-plan? Family-owned and operated, Legacy always provides quality cremations at an exceptional value. However, pre-planned cremation arrangements offer a respectful way to alleviate the burden of making all those decisions at a critical time. And, costs are minimized. New Orleans residents can plan with today’s prices, rather than with a potentially higher future price.
Why cremation? Because it is the reasonably priced alternative for final arrangements, offering a customized and dignified tribute at a cost far less than a traditional funeral and burial. With all the options available, cremation costs are less prohibitive – at a time when finances are the last thing you want to think about. Your family can start the grieving process without incurring additional financial strain.
Why Legacy? Because as a cremation provider for two decades, Legacy guarantees professional, caring service for you and your loved one. Our dedicated and knowledgeable staff is trained to walk you through each step in the cremation process, to answer all of your questions, and to be there for you before, during and after the actual cremation service. And we are available 24 / 7. Give us a call, and let’s talk it through.
Many people want to keep things simple and economical
for their families when they pass on.
Contact Legacy Cremation Services, serving the New Orleans, LA community: