Who Knew that Choosing the Music for Your Memorial Service
was so Important?
Legacy Cremation Services Did.
(serving Kendale Lakes–Lindgren Acres, FL for over two decades)
Does this sound familiar?
Your loved one has passed away. The news was shocking and difficult to bear. Then you learned that you were responsible for the final arrangements. And nothing had been pre-planned.
Okay, you were smart. You called a Legacy cremation consultant, because the licensed and professional staff is known for being able to handle just about anything. And they did.
You wanted and received a cremation package which included an intimate memorial service that celebrated and honored the life of your loved one. The flowers were beautiful, fit the room perfectly, and added just the right touch. The lighting was spot on. They recommended a template for a memorial web site and they helped develop the perfect program to give out as a memento. They even reminded you to collect a number of photos to display. Then there was the music.
This is what you learned from a Legacy cremation counselor:
The importance of music.
- From the beginning of time, music has played an important role in our lives, especially when it comes to marking special moments.
- Music at a memorial should create an atmosphere of healing and hope, remind the participants of the joy of your loved one’s life, leave an impression on the hearts of those who have experienced the loss, and give comfort to the family regardless of their grieving style, cultural beliefs or faith. In this way, music can be the foundation of a healthy grieving process.
The style and the mood.
- In the beginning of the cremation service the music should establish a welcoming atmosphere, and throughout the memorial the music should give comfort to those present and bring them together.
- Pre-recorded music can be played over a loud speaker, or local musicians can be hired to share their talent on behalf of your family.
- Make sure that there is a balance between instrumental and vocal music. For example, soft background music is perfect during the eulogies and service. Guitars, violins, flutes or chimes are perfectly acceptable at these times. A vocalist can perform to highlight special moments.
- The style of music will vary, depending on the “culture” of the family. For some, religiously themed songs work, for example hymnals, gospel music and spirituals which encourage the crowd to participate with responsive singing. Or, the music may be meditative, helping to elevate the spirit to a place of peace and impart a sense of ushering the deceased into the afterlife. Both types of religious music help those present to release their emotions through the power of words, melody, and rhythm.
- Many families, Christian and Jewish alike, include a rendition of Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd . . .,” whether in English or Hebrew.
Picking specific songs.
- It is customary and helpful to use songs that are generally loved, or particular favorites of the deceased. The music should be uplifting to all who attend the cremation service. It is okay to consider songs that are not scripture-based, but whose theme is peace, love and eternal life.
- Songs and poems from other cultures can also work well, for example the Native American poem “I am with you still,” which provides a touching reminder that despite the loss of a loved on earth, the spirit lives on forever in the hearts and minds of those left behind. There is a musical piece that accompanies this poem which can be played on chimes or flute, carrying the words into the wind and the sky, as when the poem was first written and performed.
Legacy Cremation Services has access to a wide range of musical resources which crosses many cultures.
And BTW, Legacy = flexibility + integrity.
You’ve got options. What we want you to know is that Legacy offers a variety of options so that you can honor the life of your loved one in a personal and dignified manner. There are many ways to do this – for example you may want a memory table or board, or a video along with the music playing in honor of your loved one – and that is why we advise that you take the time to learn about what is available. Unlike other cremation providers in Kendale Lakes–Lindgren Acres, Legacy cremation consultants are experienced, professional, compassionate and knowledgeable about all kinds of services and programs, from alternative to traditional. Our Directors know what works and what doesn’t, and they can provide some unique ideas that you might like to consider. And we can get almost anything done for you. That’s why we urge you to call us at any time, 24 / 7. Let’s talk it through.
Rest assured, the price will be right. At Legacy, it is our policy to discuss all cremation arrangements in detail, and provide financial information about the cremation options you select, up front. The price of cremation services and programs can vary considerably, and we want you to know exactly what you’re paying for in advance, as we know this will greatly ease your mind.
There are the words . . . and then there is the music.
Promote healing for those who have gathered together
to honor a family member or friend who has meant so much.
When you want it done right, choose Legacy Cremation Services
(serving Kendale Lakes–Lindgren Acres, FL for over two decades),